October 01, 2005

October's Book: Good Omens

Elisa says: The book I choose is "Good Omens" by Neil Gaiman and Terry
Pratchett. I've read some Terry Pratchett (and enjoyed it) and this is, by far,
the funniest I've read. What other book has the tribute, "The Apocalypse
has never been funnier." And what other book has Elvis flipping burgers
in an obscure burger joint. (He just staged his death.) Interesting sidenote:
There was talk of making the book into a movie and Jude Law was to play
the part of the demon Crawley. Unfortunately the movie fell through.

Anyway, to give you a taste, here is what is written on the back cover.
"We hear the world will end on a Saturday. Unfortunately, Sister Mary
Locquacious of the Chattering Order has misplaced the Antichrist."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elisa, I thought my sister must have picked Good Omens, because when I recieved the email telling me October's book, I was about 30 pages into the book (a coworker suggested it to me). How nice it was to discover myself in a state of productivity when I thought I'd only been entertaining myself! I've been enjoying it quite a bit. Perfect book for the month of goblins and goulies.

Anonymous said...

P.S. This is "anonymous." I forgot my login and password, so I couldn't post my comments as myself. I may just create a new identity. In the meantime, anonymous=Liz Thatcher, idiot profundo.

elisa said...

Oh, I'm so glad it worked out that way. This is the first-time I've joined this online blog. It's also my first-time with any type of blog. I've tried getting on before, but the blog sensed me coming and knew..."she's a computer illiterate, let's play tricks on her" and I couldn't manage to get on properly.

I am coincidentally reading "Wyrd Sisters," also by Terry Pratchett. I found it at D.I. It's a great send-up of MacBeth. I'm excited to plow back into Good Omens again.

I read comments about the Balzac and Seamstress books, and now I must read it. It's off to Costco I go!

wynne said...

I really liked this book. It was brilliantly silly--and even witty, too. I think my favorite bit of all was a mixed metaphor, though. The bloke with the paint ball gun thinking to himself--what was it? "Sh--, or get out of the kitchen." Giggled myself to death.

And I really liked Dog.

elisa said...

I'm late as always, but I finished Good Omens--again. Yes it is as funny the second time!

One of my favorite bits is the Hell's Angels riding after the 4 bikers of the Apocolypse. I loved the choosing of names "Really Cool People," "All things French," and "Embarrassing Personal Problems."

I also liked the English Spanish Inquisition with the little "witch" who insisted on being drowned repeatedly.

I imagined David Thewlis (Professor Lupin from the Harry Potter movie) in the role of Aziraphale.